THE FRUIT EATING BATS OF VIRUGAMBAKKAM PART 3 ABANDONED/ ORPHANED AND ALMOST ALL REUNITED.........THE BAT BABIES.

Hi all............I have been filming the tiny fruit eating bats of Ceebros gardens, Virugambakkam,
Chennai, for quite a long time now.They are fascinating.Their lives are quite similar to that of humans to a certain extent.After all they are mammals .

Part 2 is pending .I have to edit several videos,so I am taking time.This, part 3, highlights the  effects of the fire crackers on the lives of unweaned bat babies  solely depending on their mamas' milk for nutrition, now abandoned or orphaned .

 Well I am very sad to say, Diwali which is supposed to be a "Festival of lights",new clothes, family and friend reunions,has become a "Festival of Decibels and destruction".
The mama bats probably abandoned the babies which are unweaned and cannot fly, being frightened stiff  of the terrible noise and fire ,the shouts of people lighting the crackers etc. Or maybe the mama bats are dead due to some miscreant tossing crackers into the date palm trees where these tiny bats live. 

When I went down to film the bats on the day after Diwali, I found a very sad state of affairs.I found the trees empty ,but sticking to a branch of one of trees, I found several small bat babies, frightened and clinging together and trying to suck at their mamas' imaginary nipples. This saddened me, as I have seen bat babies playing even in the daytime and some of them are very naughty.






Again I went down in the twilight when the bats play,go flying in search of fruits .Bat babies play a lot, and these babies played for a short while and got tired due to lack of nutrition, and seemed drowsy at night which is a very unusual sight. I tried to contact several animal care centres that do exist in Chennai ,but it was festival time and the calls went unanswered. I felt sad and helpless. For two days I observed the babies, helpless to do anything. Their skins were getting wrinkled probably due to dehydration. They could not move much.






I was sure the babies were going to die or fall prey to the horrible crows looking around. The next sunny day brought surprises.It was a bright day and when I descended with my  camera and paraphernalia, to see what happened to the babies. Five babies were in the adjacent tree under the wings of a female bat ,most probably their mother.And they were playing happily.But one baby still remained ,perched alone in the same spot,same tree.




FIVE BABIES BACK WITH THEIR MAMA

So Happy ending to a miserable feeling. How I worried and thought about those babies. Now I worry about the only lonely baby in the other tree.God willing it may survive.

My FB name is pahi naman and my youtube ID is saipahi. Hope you like my posts.If so,please click the follow button on the left side of the blog post. And I welcome any comments good or bad.So I can improve myself and write better posts. Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VAIKUNTH EKADASHI, INDIAN MYTHOLOGY AND SRIRANGAM THE VAIKUNTHAM OF THE WORLD.

DURGA DURGATINASHINI

THE NEPHROLOGIST LORD OF OOTATHUR WHO TREATS KIDNEY PROBLEMS